Re: Content Provider Notification

2002-06-04 18:26:34

I suppose the content could be marked with an advisory to the
content consumer's software - the advisory being "upon reading,
mail or POST the OPES headers to the content provider."  That's about
the only reasonable way I can see to provide strong forms of
notification while still giving the content consumer some control.
But the content provider just isn't going to want to be bombarded
with all these notifications, and if notifications were a default
requirement, it would be crippling.  The providers would need
a detailed way of specifying which kinds of OPES services or which
OPES service providers did or did not have to provide notifications.
Which gets back to the inline policy specification and validation
methods of my paper of last year.  It's a heavyweight solution, done
to show that these problems have solutions, but at a cost.  And it
is clearly outside what the working group wants to do.

The mechanisms for notification would be complicated, as they cannot
follow the content path.  They must be the same for both endpoints
(because both the request and the response can be part of OPES
processing), and they must handle the case of intermediate content
providers (consider a personalization service contracted for by the
content provider; if the content consumer's personalization service
conflicted with it, the personalization service provider must be
notified).  How can one relate the notification to the request that
ocassioned it?  In the case of a caching proxy, the content provider
would not have seen the request, and the notification of an OPES
service would not be related to any activity seen by the provider or
his contracted services.

In short, I do not see how to design a meaningful notification service
that suits anyone's purposes within the current working group's
talents and desires.  And there's no point in saying "no notification"
if we haven't got a notification service.  So there's no impact
on the architecture.

I suggest we put this issue aside for the time being.  It has been
considered, it is very difficult, and it can be a topic for a later
encharterment.

Hilarie