RE: Content Provider Notification

2002-06-06 16:51:11

On OPES advertisement/notification headers:

The main idea is to let the content server know that
there is an OPES entity in the dataflow path. Adding
an "existence and capabilities" notification to request
or response does not replace tracing and reporting
mechanism, it just supplements it and helps to overcome
limitations imposed by "don't break end-to-end HTTP" rule.

If such notification is present it SHALL include:
a) OPES protocol extensions level supported, including
tracing and reporting support available;
b) method to be used by the content server to communicate
with OPES server - OPES extensions to base protocol or
out-of-band. In the latter case OPES server address
MUST be included.

It MAY also include:

c) OPES server origin-of-authority address (if one is different
from the OPES server itself and the OPES server is willing to
expose one). This may be useful for out-of-band negotiations
(for example getting/checking authorization for certain actions
or signing up for pay-per-use services);
d) services or classes of services available.

I don't think such notification creates a scalability
problem - number of OPES servers in a particular dataflow is
very limited. The main goal of notification is not to advertise
all available services or their classes (though this also may
be feasible in some cases) but to declare willingness of the
OPES server to disclose its presence and negotiate services
(including tracing and reporting) with the content server
or user agent.

Oskar