Re: Chaining of Callout Servers

2002-07-25 05:38:49

Joseph Hui wrote:

That said, I also believe, in consideration of security and privacy,
it'd be prudent to also require that the transitivity of trust
along a CSC be controllable to some reasonable extent by the CSC caller.

Do I understand you correctly that this would require the OPES processor to specify the callout server chain, i.e. the OPES processor decides which servers are in the chain and how they're chained? If I'm not mistaken, this would be different from Hilarie's viewpoint, where "... the first service processor can plan the processing pathway...".

I'm using the "to some reasonable extent" phrase, because in
reality this will present a great challenge to the callout
protocol designers.

You seem to assume that this will have quite some impact on the protocol, while Hilarie's viewpoint is that one additional header would be enough. Can we somehow examine why we come to such different views?

The value and usefulness of pipelined
processing can be trivially demonstrated, using a
Unix command line as an example, say, A|B|C.  That's
a positive.

Well, if A, B, and C are servers, and the communication cost from the OPES processor to each of the servers is minimal, than chaining doesn't buy me too much - it might even be worse, e.g. if communication cost between the servers is higher than between the OPES processor and the servers. So, it strongly depends on the deployment scenario - and I was wondering what a typical OPES deployment scenario would be in which chaining would either be beneficial or a disadvantage - I can see both, and I'm just wondering whether the expected benefits in those specific scenarios would justify possible added complexity.