RE: To chain or not to chain

2002-07-30 02:43:19

It seems there might be different ideas about what "chaining" means. From the initial discussion here I was perceiving a chain of supplementary servers behind the initial callout server where the presence of the 2nd, 3rd, nth server were somewhat hidden from the OPES processor.

What I see in your comments, Andreas, is something akin to a "star" topology (actually it sounds a little similar to Mark Baker's stuff) where a central authority handles the routing. However, by allowing the OPES processor to create the list I'm starting to fail to see any reason for the chain to exist (at least so far as OPES protocols are concerned, perhaps); that sounds more like a ruleset being processed (A, B, C) rather than a potential chain (A, A', A'').

Irrespective, I agree that chaining of callout servers per se. should be excluded as a requirement at this stage.

Urgh, thanks Marshall ... I'm now going to spend a lovely sticky day reading I-Ds ;-)

--On 29 July 2002 01:33 -0700 Andreas Terzis <aterzis(_at_)sbcglobal(_dot_)net>