Comments on Architecture draft (-02)

2002-07-30 07:11:06

"Ian" == Ian Cooper <ian(_at_)the-coopers(_dot_)org> writes:

    Ian> Apologies in advance for duplication of comments that have
    Ian> already been discussed here and for the delay in getting them
    Ian> to the list.

    [... lots of interesting stuff skipped...]

    >> In the current work, the data provider and data consumer
    >> applications are not considered as OPES entities.  The OPES
    >> architecture is largely independent of the protocol that is
    >> used by the OPES entities to exchange data.  However, this
    >> document selects HTTP [4] as the example protocol to be used
    >> for realizing a data flow.  In this regard, the logical
    >> implementation stack of an OPES entity is summarized in Figure
    >> 1.

    Ian> This last paragraph can be read to say that OPES protocols
    Ian> run over HTTP and I don't think that's what is really meant.
    Ian> In the case of HTTP it may be beneficial to point out that
    Ian> the OPES process would typically be implemented in a proxy or
    Ian> surrogate (apologies if it causes problems in using RFC
    Ian> 3040).

    Does that means that the ICAP draft standard is abandoned?

    I feel that the relation between OPES and ICAP should be clarified.
    I thought that the OPES effort will extend (and generalize) ICAP.

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are only mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique * France
DRT/LIST/DTSI/SLA * CEA/Saclay b.528 (p111f) * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX
phone:+33 1,6908.6055; fax: 1,6908.8395 home: 1,4665.4553; mobile: 6,8501.2359
work email: Basile point Starynkevitch at cea point fr
home email: Basile at Starynkevitch point net