ICAP header extensions

2003-01-28 00:46:04

Hi,

the ICAP protocol defines in section 4.3:
"User-defined header extensions are allowed. [... They] MUST follow the "X-"
naming convention [...]"

There are already a bunch of user-defined headers in use, unfortunately only
two of them have been published officialy (X-Client-IP and X-Subscriber-ID in
draft-beck-opes-icap-subid-00.txt), many more have been exchanged between
organisations.

With the growing number of ICAP client and server implementations we see more
and more user-defined headers being introduced.
Unfortunately there are already some with the identical meaning but different
names.

To ensure further interoperability even beyond the standard feature set, I
propose that we publish the X-headers that are in use.

Please find below a first list of headers that I am going to describe in the
next days. Maybe we can simply extend the draft-beck-opes-icap-subid-00.txt
document.

There is also a definition for an OTPIONS response's opt-body format that will
be included in the description.

Knowing that there are more X-headers out there, I invite everybody to send
his/her headers with a short discription so that we can add them to the
document.
As soon as I hear about other headers and get the confirmation that their
description can be published, I will add them as an ongoing process.

Best Regards
Martin Stecher

Current list - has to be extended, specifications will be added:

REQMOD/RESPMOD request headers
        X-Client-IP
        X-Server-IP
        X-Subscriber-ID