Re: ICAP header extensions

2003-01-28 10:31:07

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Martin Stecher wrote:

the ICAP protocol defines in section 4.3: "User-defined header
extensions are allowed. [... They] MUST follow the "X-" naming
convention [...]"

There are already a bunch of user-defined headers in use,
unfortunately only two of them have been published officialy
(X-Client-IP and X-Subscriber-ID in
draft-beck-opes-icap-subid-00.txt), many more have been exchanged
between organisations.

With the growing number of ICAP client and server implementations we
see more and more user-defined headers being introduced.
Unfortunately there are already some with the identical meaning but
different names.

To ensure further interoperability even beyond the standard feature
set, I propose that we publish the X-headers that are in use.

Would it be a good idea to follow [1] and [2] with this?
Looks like those IDs attempt to solve the same problem.
 [1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-06.txt
 [2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-hdrreg-http-00.txt

www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite