RE: SMTP filtering use case

2003-02-17 15:50:14

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 09:17, Oskar Batuner wrote:

There may be any number of reasons for the callout processor to
produce multi-message response, the protocol just SHOULD (MUST?) support
multiple responses while preserving transactional integrity.

Placing this requirement on the protocol without a couple of compelling
use cases will add complexity without any gain. I like Alex's cheap-copy
approach more than a 1->N request->response relationship. It's easier to
predict the behaviour of the former.

We should not (MUST NOT) impose any limitation on what
information is available to the callout processor (including
preferences) and how OPES processor and callout processor assign
tasks between themselves while performing a collaborative
processing - this is application specifics and should be
out of scope for protocol design.

All protocols exist to support / enable an application. I'm not
suggesting that we should impose limitations - but neither can we design
in a vaccuum.

To me, if user details are in a directory, detection of user preferences
seems to be orthogonal to the OPES transaction. *Identification* of the
user within the OPES transaction may be useful though.

Rob