RE: SMTP filtering use case

2003-02-18 08:51:12

Hilarie,

I did not meant to say that this discussion has no point. I'm
just trying to look at the protocol features that are needed to
support the application requirements that surfaced in the
discussion about Martin's scenario. Essentially this are
transaction integrity and one-to-many mapping between the
protocol messages and the application messages.

Application architecture discussion in fact raises one more
issue - performance requirements for OPES processor and
callout server. One approach is to go from OPES server
performance required to keep up with the request flow.
If callout server has to be in this flow the callout protocol
should be light weight, SOAP and XML do not look good for that.

On another hand we may look at the task performed by the
callout processor. If each request requires significant
processing protocol parsing becomes comparatively less
important - even for heavy weight protocols. If callout
server is powerful enough to keep up with processing requirements
it should be able to do parsing too (this is the situation
when functional request processing is much more demanding than
parsing of heavyweight protocol). Problem of keeping up with
performance requirements that exceed capabilities of single
server may be approached from two directions - either by building
a server farm or by distributing requests from OPES processors to
multiple callout servers. We may look at protocol features that are
helpful to support each approach.

Oskar