Re: OPES protocol, pre-draft

2003-02-19 10:47:45

jfc,

        We are talking about two different things here. You are
talking about directing application messages to appropriate callout
servers. I am talking about [re]directing application messages to
different data consumers.

For example, an HTTP request for www.w3c.com can be redirected (by the
callout server manipulations of HTTP headers and meta-information) to
www.w3.org. Another example: an e-mail to managers(_at_)example(_dot_)com can be
redirected (by the callout server manipulations of SMTP headers and
meta-information) to ceo(_at_)example(_dot_)com _and_ to
officers(_at_)example(_dot_)com
(producing two application messages).

Some argued that such modification of application message destination
MUST NOT be allowed. Some wanted it to support the second example
above.

Hope this clarifies.

Thank you,

Alex.