RE: too fast out-of-order messages

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 1:15 PM
To: 'Alex Rousskov'; OPES Group
Subject: RE: too fast out-of-order messages

see inline,

abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 1:50 PM
To: OPES Group
Subject: too fast out-of-order messages

SNIP

Possible sane solutions:

    0) Prohibit out-of-order messages and related
       optimizations.

    1) Prohibit out-of-order messages until the other
       side acknowledges that it received the
       <xaction-start> message (and, hence, the
       transaction is now known to that other side).
       The acknowledgment may be done explicitly
       by immediately sending an <i-am-here> message
       or implicitly by sending other transaction-dependent
       messages as a part of normal operation.
       We may even require immediate ACKs.

    2) Require <xaction-end> message to always be sent
       via the usual [slow] channel, even if another
       copy of the message was sent via a "fast" channel.
       This way, if fast message is too fast, we have
       no optimization but preserve the same semantics.
       Same carbon-copy rule can be applied to all
       future out-of-order messages. Note that it is
       OK to send two <xaction-end> messages because
       the second one will be ignored by the recipient.

Personally, I favor (2) because it allows for an
optimization, is simple, has no overheads for those that do
not support the optimization, and does not require creation
of the "other side heard us" state.

Note that we can inform implementors that they may _want_ to
send explicit ACKs as an optional feature (they are allowed
to do that already), especially if the callout server does
not expect to send any other transaction-dependent messages
for some time. Again, the ACKs should use existing
<i-am-here> messages.

Comments/opinions?

SNIP

Personally, I would prefere option 0 for now (simply for
protocol simplicity reasons).
However, I do see your reasoning for option 2.

Abbie