RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft 01

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 1:08 PM
To: 'Alex Rousskov'; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft 01

See inline,

Abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 2:15 PM
To: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, jfcm wrote:

My use/understanding of zap is initial pipe oriented. Clean the
"thing" tree from that pipe.

Using 100 times zap is totally acceptable. Actually this is
the best
way to synchronize. zap means swallow everything related to
this pipe,
clean it. Nothing in there, what ever it was. Clean
buffers. Signal
attached tasks to die propagate along the pipes all over
the network.
Or the equivalent (I use the image of my old QNX based
system). May be
I was wrong in assuming that it corresponded to your commands.

There are no connection-oriented commands in the predraft yet!

--- Abbie, that is correct.

What you want is entirely different from a <xaction-end>
message. You want to kill every transaction that is
associated with a given OPES connection. You want
<transactionS-end ...> message that has no xid (because it
applies to all transactions on the corresponding connection).

<transactions-end> is an optimization. It is semantically equivalent
(almost) to sending multiple <transaction-end> messages, but
is smaller. I will add <transactions-end> to the TODO list.
We need to decide what to do with OPES connections in general
before we can zap them.

---ABbie
In TODO list is a good place for it.

Moreover, you want to clear all unprocessed connection
buffers which should be a different command because it has a
different semantics. All implementations can support
<transactions-end> message and only very few (or none,
depending on allowed OPES bindings and message
encodings) can support buffer flushing. For example, if OPES
messages are encoded in raw XML, then you may not be able to
flush buffers because you may create partial messages and may
not be able to find a beginning of the message after that.

IMO, this buffer-flushing command is too low-level for OPES.
Simply closing and re-opening the connection is probably more
appropriate and is not much more expensive. I suggest we wait
for other opinions before proceeding with this.

---Abbie, ALex, Amen, let us keep the vry low level out.

So for example zap 0 would kill the network and restart
the network
establishment negociations, etc. Next to power down it is
the "reboot"
of the network.

--- Abbie, Yuk......

This is even more than flushing buffers. You want to close
and reopen connections as well. I think this should wait
until we add connection management framework to the protocol.
We need to decide whether and how OPES connections can be
reopened and what effect a suddenly closed connection has on
the other end.

Thank you,

Alex.

---- Agree