RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft 01

2003-02-26 15:50:34

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, jfcm wrote:

Please read that.

                                        Supervisor or
Service User <-----> dispatcher <----> Service Organizer
                    /  ^      ^  \
Other user        /   |      |   \  Other users
                       v      v
                  service <--> dispatcher <----> service
controler      /provider       / ^              provider
external user
/               /  |             /  ^
etc.. etc..                  /   v           /    |
                             /  service     /      v
                   dispatcher   etc.      /   alarms,logs

                                        /     etc
                                      /
                   other ONES domains

This only wants to show that there are thres building blccks:

- dispatchers
- services
- ends

OPES includes dispatchers and services and excludes ends (beyond
application protocols the ends use). If you claim the above is
different from OPES at the building blocks level, then you need to
show that your ends need to communicate with dispatchers using ONES
protocols (not application protocols). I think you are doing that
later, where you tell us that "ends" are not necessarily "users" or
"content producers".

That services are actually made of a service adminstrator triggering
the services.

Possible under OPES.

and that the ends may be of tree different natures :

- user : they call and get the service

Using an application protocol, I presume (not OPES/ONES protocol)? Or
do you expect a browser (for example) to be ONES-aware? In what way?

- organiser : they organize their access/responses to use the ONES
(used on the flow)

I do not understand this part. Organizers organize user messages? How
is this different from OPES dispatcher or processor role?

- supervisor : they organize their responses as a permanent
cooperative strategy.

I do not understand this part. Can you be more specific? What is a
permanent cooperative strategy? Does "their" refer to users? How is
this different from OPES dispatcher or processor role?

Also, where is a content producer (e.g., origin server)? Is that also
a service in ONES terminology? I would expect it to be one of the
"ends" since content producers are not ONES-aware.

This only shows that there is a simple (three building blocks, with
limited number of building block types) but wich a lot more of
interaction types than in the OPES draft model.

I do not see more interaction yet. Perhaps that is because I do not
understand what "organiser" and "supervisor" are. All other entities
seem to match OPES entities well.

My only interest right now is that we understand clearly this way
what is in the OPES area (in the charter of this group) and how it
may benefit from ONES analysis (up to the WG to discuss issues over
OPES charter).

Same here! I think we are getting closer.

Thank you,

Alex.