RE: is IDNA an OPES?

2003-03-07 19:06:26
At 23:26 07/03/03, bindignavile(_dot_)srinivas(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:
Alex,
I was a little behind in reading the various threads in this group! I wanted to clarify some terminology with you. When you referred to OPES agents, you meant any OPES device, OPES processors or callout server, right? I agree with you that raw IDNA ML messages cannot be conveyed to even the OPES processor (or, the callout processor too) from the content producer, using HTTP!

I asked a question because I have very hard time understanding what is an OPES according to the IAB and this group's definitions I found sometimes contradicting. Just want a clear list. To try to have the debate to help, I picked another case where I have very hard time to understand what it is and where it fits which is IDNA. (I feel the standard does not match all the user needs, and because testings are under way). And I asked if IDNA was OPES to try to better understand from the responses.

Responses have helped a lot to see that the situation is more confuse on both aspects. Let drop IDNA. Initially I understood the OPES was an HTTP oriented filter sitting on one side proxy and possibly calling on servers through a callout protocol to modify the transiting data.

- I gave an example talking of SMTP. Some objected it iwas not HTT¨P, but most accepted SMTP. - there was then a debate over redirection: can an OPES redirect or not. Seems controverted too.
- there was a debate on one way or two way? Two ways seems accepted?
- there was a debate on the fact that an OPES server may not call the user for a direct confirmation: the response seems odd to me (through the application - I am not sure about hwt it means) - I generalized the concepts as ONES and tried to see the boarder between ONES and OPES, with some difficulty to understand where OPES end. A difference seem that the OPES is not chosen or even ignored by the user, while the ONES are organized/selected in cooperation by the user/producer.

This generalized architecture of mine made me to analyze that the semantic could be clarified. That we had a more balanced end to end vision (and wording) of the system. Also that the protocol was an inter-dispatcher protocol with a possible command channel 0, triggering server applications. The discussion went on the need or not to swallow the data/processes related to a channel (a set of channels - from dispatcher to dispatcher being allocated to a transaction).

Then the callout protocol was discussed and it style. Soap or not, inter-active on blunt stop, bandwidth consuming, etc. I tried to see where we could have good specifications and examples of that protocol; in total or in part. The IDNA discussion has identified that the browser could use it to interact with an IDNA server. Other examples (EDI, translations, airlines, visa etc) were investigated/alluded to.

This means (to me) that we have a network of dispatchers with the following functions

1. entry in the dispatcher in http, smtp.
2. filtering a according rules
3. filtered objects are sent to the server
4. the objects come back from the server
5. they are sent in http or smtp or....

Your position says (1) does not use http or smtp or another IETF protocol, so the concerned system is not an OPES, so the (3)/(4) protocol is not a callout protocol.

I question that and I say that what qualified the OPES is that the (2) filter may apply and that (5) is in an appropriate http/smtp format.
jfc

---