RE: Draft Agenda for IETF 56

2003-03-12 10:11:43

I would like to suggest that we need general framework(s) for tracing
and user preferences processing before we go into designing specific
protocols, especially if we want to add extensions to [many] existing
protocols. We must document what needs to be passed around and what
the reaction on that information should be. Given such a framework,
implementation in any specific protocol (new or old) would be a
mundane task:

        - what is addressable?
        - what is traceable?
        - can tracing info be aggregated/modified?
        - do we need information authentication?
        - can end-point affect the extent of tracing?
        - what is the default behavior?
        - etc.

All of the above has little dependency on the application protocols
and, IMO, should be decided/documented first. The existings drafts do
not cover these decisions well enough.

Specific remarks are below.