RE: Draft Agenda for IETF 56

From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:29 AM
To: OPES Group
Subject: Re: Draft Agenda for IETF 56

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Reinaldo wrote:

it's a black box in regards of the services it provides, not the
tracing/events. Everytime you access a web page you do not
get a list
of all the routers in your path.

Actually, I do from HTTP point of view! I get a list of all
proxies in the Via: header.

Only if you are addressing it directly, and that's the point of the
discussion.

But you can use a traceroute or maybe get an ICMP type/code back to
let you know of some error.

That does not count for many reasons. For example, the
traceroute output may have nothing to do with how my HTTP
transaction was routed. This is not only out-of-band, but is
also out-of-sync.

But this is just a minor terminology disagreement. This
thread has clarified that we do expect individual services to
be traceable and that we may want ends to be able to bypass
them. The latter is not required for a fully functional OPES
system though.