RE: Draft Agenda for IETF 56

2003-03-12 12:18:09

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Oskar Batuner wrote:

As per architecture:

"The OPES architecture requires that tracing be feasible
   on the OPES flow per OPES processor using in-band annotation. "

This requirements is essential, it provides participants with the
ability to detect OPES in the course of normal interaction. It is
necessary to satisfy IAB. Without in-band tracing one should undertake
special query to find out if there was something done to the data.
This may be not feasible - how do you know where to look without
tracing info?

Good catch! It looks like we have an answer as far as tracing is
concerned unless we want to add per-service tracing.

However, we do not have an answer for communicating user preferences
(e.g., bypass). You cannot make the same argument there because if a
user [agent] wants to communicate OPES preferences, it has to support
something new, possibly a new out-of-band protocol.

For that matter I'd suggest that callout processor should not be
able to communicate with OPES participant directly, only through
OPES server. This will provide the required level of isolation. OPES
processor may use callout protocol to communicate certain requests
to callout processor and send responses back to the user/server.

On the other hand, callout servers already communicate with ends, by
modifying application messages (which is their primary purpose)!