RE: copying commitment and deadlock

2003-03-26 11:24:06

I think that the comment below refers to applying dispatch rules to
the result of a dispatch.  I.e., assume the content is two parts,
{A,B}. That content triggers a modification to part B, resulting in
{A,B'}.  The dispatch rules applied to {A,B'} trigger a modifiction to
A, resulting in {A',B'}.  What might happen in an implementation is
that the first condition would trigger a callout, causing the OPES
processor to start sending B to the callout server; the callout server
would have logic asking the OPES server if A existed, and if so, to
send it also, so that it can generate A' as a function of B'.

I can see this happening, but I'm not sure how it affects the current
discussion about copying commitment.  I think we need to be selecting
the absolutely minimal set of mechanisms to support transport of
content to and from callout servers.  We should lean heavily towards
mechanism reuse over mechanism extension.

Hilarie

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 at 08:55:02 -0700 (MST) Alex Rousskov said:

 [Copied] flag applies to an application data chunk. Copying commitment,
 if any, applies to several chunks (possibly the entire application
 message).

 > Dispatchers rules may say that (A+B ) calls for B only to be
 > modified into B', and that (A+B' ) calls for A to be modified too,
 > or in conjunction with B'.

 Sorry, I do not follow. I do not understand what "(A+B) calls for B"
 means.