Re: OCP version head_sid3 available

2003-04-08 09:55:47

Alex Rousskov wrote:

I agree that "OCP application" is awkward. However, we are not talking
just about OCP message payload. The term refers to the set of
agreements (a protocol) covering things like:
        - meta-data encoding
        - required meta-data fields and their meaning
        - data encoding
        - data meaning
The exact combination is unknown a priory. For example, in some cases,
it may make sense to agree on meta-data and let meta-data describe
data encoding and meaning.

The "other side" of OCP communication does not know what it is getting
in meta-data and data fields. It needs to be told about encoding and
meanings, just like, say, HTTP defines HTTP message encoding and
meaning.

Again, a better term than "OCP application" would be great, but it has
to cover all of the above things. It is the result of OCP agents
negotiations about data and meta-data.

What you describe above (i.e. meta-data encoding, data encoding, etc.), isn't that is some sense a profile for the data to be exchanged via OCP, basically an "OCP profile"? The actual data to be exchanged and described by the profile would be "OCP data"...