Charter issues

2003-04-10 15:21:51

Are we defining standards that apply to any content transforming
proxy, even those which do not use a callout protocol?  Such an entity
might be known as an "IETF standard OPES processor"? From our charter,
I would guess that this is true, and that the callout protocol is a
minor part of the work.  However, I'd never really thought of it that
way - we've done so little on authorization, reversibility, "end-to-end"
encryption, policy specification, control by endpoints, tracking,
traceability, etc. that it would be difficult for someone to tell whether
or not a particular content-transforming proxy was "IETF compliant" or not.
Should we be working on this?

My impression was that we would have guidelines, but the only thing that
would really be standardized would be a callout protocol and tracing
support.  What's the group opinion?

Hilarie