Re: BEEP as OCP transport

2003-04-18 11:12:44

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Marshall Rose wrote:
I think we are on the same page now. It would be great to hear from
others as well. Is anybody able to follow my lame attempts at
explaining the problem? Does anybody have horror stories to tell about
FTP (other than firewall problems)? Is there a reason we should not
use multiple BEEP channels per OCP connection _if_ BEEP is selected as
a transport protocol?

if the answer is "FTP", then the wrong question has been asked.

Shoot. I deleted a sentence explaining that the multi-channel approach
is probably similar to what FTP uses (data channel + control channel).
I did not mean to suggest that we use FTP for anything; that would not
even be funny. Still, some FTP lessons might be useful.

each beep session has a single encryption/authentication context.
you negotiate it at the start of the session, and it applies to
every channel thereafter, e.g.,

      beep channels
      beep frames
      tls packets
      tcp segments

all traffic on all channels goes over the same tls session.

Great, that helps to keep per-channel overheads low.

Thank you,