Re: HTTP as OCP transport, ICAP/2.0

2003-04-23 07:18:26

Hilarie is correct in that the aim was to make it friendly to HTTP developers and apps with existing HTTP interfaces rather than strict HTTP compliance.

If I recall correctly, the main reason that ICAP diverged from HTTP was that ICAP required chunking. Leaving chunking as optional made icap-enabled applications that dealt with the transfer of large amounts of data slow and inefficient. In particular virus scanning apps wanted a way to ack a small piece of data and tell the icap client to send more or not.

Originally, ICAP was defined as an HTTP vectoring protocol or "HTTP over HTTP" - a way of encapsulating one complete HTTP message within another HTTP message. It still looks and smells a lot like HTTP.

John