RE: [opes-end-comm]: What is traceable in an OPES Flow?

2003-08-28 13:42:26
Alex,

Agree, This is why I did the cut/Paste.

We need input from everyone here, please

Abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 4:38 PM
To: Barbir, Abbie [CAR:1A11:EXCH]
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [opes-end-comm]: What is traceable in an OPES Flow?

Abbie,

I would remove the entire old text you quoted and replace it
with implementation requirements:

    For a given trace, an OPES entity involved in handling the
    corresponding application message is "traceable" or "traced" if
    information about it appears in that trace. OPES entities have
    different levels of traceability requirements. Specifically,

    o  An OPES system MUST add its entry to the trace.

    o  An OPES processor SHOULD add its entry to the trace.

    o  An OPES service MAY add its entry to the trace.

    An OPES entity MAY manage trace entries of entities it
    controls(?). For example, an OPES processor may add
    and/or remove callout service entries.

The above needs further polishing of course. The main point
is that we should have specific implementation requirements
in this draft, and reduce abstract talk about what end points
would like to see in the trace. In other words, describe how
to build the trace, spend less time (and no RFC 2919
keywords!) on why we want the trace to look like that. Make
all rationale explanations clearly non-normative.

HTH,

Alex.