RE: what-parts-to-send-or-skip

2003-10-24 23:32:50

Hi Alex,

Last-Needed-Part would address this. But maybe we can add anoter
parameter "Pause-Offset" to the feature which acts as a data-pause
pre-request. It requests a first data-paused message after n bytes
of the original body.
As with data-pause, OPES processor SHOULD honor this request.
This will be similar to the Preview feature of ICAP/1.0.

Good, except for the Offset part. Since the offset is not known a
priory, services that need just headers will have to overprovision on
average but will not get enough sometimes.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I do not mean an offset that counts
from the beginning of the application message but from the beginning of
the body part (request-body in request profile, response-body in response
profile).
Services only interested in headers, can use Pause-Offset: 0.

I see here an advantage for other services too, for example,
a service dealing with GIFs may want not only want to check for the
Content-Type header but also whether data starts with the three bytes "GIF".
It could use Pause-Offset: 3

Martin