Re: Draft minutes from IETF 58

2003-11-17 03:57:25

OPES Future

Markus

Note: Re-chartering is ONLY for adding new work items, not for staying alive
to do work from old charter.  Keep new work in OPES framework, not something
new.

Really need to know who will be committed to working on new work items.

PLEASE POST THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS TO MAIL LIST.  PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO DO
WORK!!!

I am willing to volunteer some of my time for the rule language related
work - review, authoring/editing,whatever is needed...   Specifically,
on the following work items:

1. Enhancements to 'P language' (if it is decided to have a few)

2. Work that Alex called as "P modules and interfaces"
 - HTTP protocol specific module work
 - Defining a specification for the 'P' runtime engine - so that people
can claim 'conformant P runtime'.
 - [Java,C++,Python] Language binding for authoring modules.

3. Investigate whether there are any existing Policy frameworks that
help articulate authorization aspects related to ruleset authorship
versus content ownership versus hop ownership versus service ownership.

4. Investigate what is needed to enable more standard global deployment
of 'P'. Some of the possibilities here are:
  - Mode by which a client can query the available filtering services.
This can be used by the client to authorize a few of them to always
execute on his messages. Can we do this with OPTIONS like feature of the
OCP client by propagating it to the end-user? Else Can we define a
subset of OCP core protocol itself to be supported between 2 OPES
entities?
  - Will an alternate representation for 'P' help in speeding up
things?  Is it useful to have a pre-parsed intermediate representation
of 'P'? Does a virtual machine model be useful here?

5. Investigate whether 'filtering service' can be made as a 'first class
service' that can be requested by the client? If so, what is the mode by
which a client can request 'P' processing (message embedded?) Is is
useful to have a way by which the user can request for a specific filter
to be applied for specific HTTP requests? Alternatively, is it useful to
allow clients to query for the location of a filter to later send in
their files to be adapted by the filter?

BTW, I am not sure which of these can/cannot come under OPES charter...

Thanks and regards
Geetha