RE: RC2 Licensing

1997-04-15 12:23:32
Steve, I know this is a delecate subject, but I'm not at all sure that the
domestic issue is moot.  There is certainly a community of free and
share-ware developers that don't have access to RC2 now that would probably
like to have access to it.  The question is how important is that
community. There are still large segments of the Internet e-mail community
that use freeware like Pine. In fact I believe the most UNIX internet
e-mail is freeware based as there are few commercial products.  This may
become an issue as folks try to deploy S/MIME.

I'm also not sure that the IETF views this issue as moot. I don't recall
the discussions at the BOF being qualified as domestic versus
international. My understanding was that any technology that was encumbered
indefinitely was a problem.

LL