Re: Alternative symmetric algorithm freely available for IETF S/MIME (re: RC2 licensing).

1997-04-17 07:26:47
At 10:57 AM 4/17/97 GMT, lindsay(_at_)powerup(_dot_)com(_dot_)au wrote:
I was at US Customs today discussing some issues regarding secure
communications between Customs and the 'Big 3'.  It was clear that it
would
be hard to ge anything through over there that did not support a FIPS
algorithm.

Should the IETF be concerned with the us customs export restrictions ? I know
I'm not. I don't think domestic US restrictions should be an issue in an
international spec, and I'm sure the (large) international developer
community feels the same.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPORT!!! Rather what you can use to 'talk' to
the government.  Forget about things like key recovery fights.  That is
peanuts and noise.  This is basics and is actually easy to meet.

Perhaps the IETF should just set a algorithm and key size minimum required
for implementing a "secure" transaction, and leave concerns with export
restrictions upto those effected - i.e. people in the US, not everybody else
in the world.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
Black Paw Communications