RE: Alternative symmetric algorithm freely available for IETFS/MIME (re: RC2 licensing).

1997-04-17 08:58:16
If DES is a MUST then US software companies will have a difficult time
exporting S/MIME-compliant products.

-steve

----------
From:  Robert Moskowitz[SMTP:rgm3(_at_)chrysler(_dot_)com]
Sent:  Wednesday, April 16, 1997 6:20 PM
To:    Peter Whittaker; 'SMIME Dev List'; 'SMIME IETF'
Subject:       Re: Alternative symmetric algorithm freely available for
IETFS/MIME
(re: RC2 licensing).

At 11:10 AM 4/16/97 -0400, Peter Whittaker wrote:
It has been suggested that the IETF consider specifying an alternative
"MUST" symmetric encryption algorithm in its version of S/MIME.  One of
the alternatives is CAST. Entrust Technologies announced in January that
it was making CAST available.  From the press release:

I was at US Customs today discussing some issues regarding secure
communications between Customs and the 'Big 3'.  It was clear that it would
be hard to ge anything through over there that did not support a FIPS
algorithm.

As I recall, DES was SHOULD.  From what I learned today, I'd say that DES
is MUST.  And when AES is done then, well I'm not so sure of that....

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212