RE: Alternative symmetric algorithm freely available for IETF S/MIME (re: RC2 licensing).

1997-04-17 18:50:25
There are two separate issues here:

1. Proprietary nature of the algorithm

        and

2. Key length of 40 bit

One argument says, 'No RC2 at any length' key because it's owned by someone
charging some type of royalty. Don't care if it's 128 bit RC2, it's still RC2.

The other argument is, 'Don't want no weak crypto'. Don't care if you're
talking CAST(_at_)40, DES(_at_)40, RC2(_at_)40 or ROT13. This is the 'US
export' problem.

The answer is simple, Let's have strong open algorithms !