Re: pkcs7-md5 and pkcs7-sha1 micalg values

1997-06-02 15:03:50
I can see using a "pkcs7-" prefix for anything that uses pkcs7, and
I understand that micalgs have sometimes been specific to a particular
protocol.  But I can't see any reason to require that all future
S/MIME micalgs use pkcs7.

It would seem far more desirable to move toward protocol-independent
micalgs, so that a message can be signed with a single micalg
but using more than one signature protocol.  If I could sign the
same message with both PGP and S/MIME, then a lot more people could
verify that I signed it!

Keith