AuthenticatedData?

1997-11-10 18:31:34
I've been trying to adopt CMS for use in ANSI X9 (baning standards).  This
is pretty trivial except for the requirement for a symmetric authenticator
(DES-MAC or HMAC).  I've done an AuthenticatedData structure (stealing much
of the new EnvelopedData key management stuff), and was wondering if this
would be useful in S/MIME as well.  I note that it solves many of the
problems associated with using PKCS #7 to protect PKIX-3 CMP messages, for
those who care about that.  If there is any interest, I'll post the
AuthenticatedData definition and we can discuss including it in the next
draft.  (My motivation, of course, is to point to other standards as much
as possible and minimize the amount of new work we do in X9.)

Regards,
Rich