Re: CMS Critical flag for signed attributes?

1998-01-26 06:31:57
Has anything happened on the CMS critical flag issue since our last
discussion?  I was intending to discuss the issue on the s/mime list, but
somehow I do not think our discussion went onto the list.

I still think the best answer is define an ASN.1 attribute type that has the
capability to include a criticality flag per attribute.  I understand that
such a solution would not be acceptable for attributes already defined by
s/mime v1 and v2, but  would it be acceptable for new attributes with new
OIDs in v3?  There could be a default rule that indicates absence of the
criticality flag means non-critical.  If existing attributes definitions
need to be critical then a new OID could be allocated for them with include
the optional criticality flag indication as part of the attribute
definition.

I am forwarding some of our previous discussion for information to list
subscribers.

On Tuesday, January 06, 1998 6:15 AM, dpkemp(_at_)missi(_dot_)ncsc(_dot_)mil