RE: Hashing of CMS signedData objects

1998-01-28 21:30:03
On Wednesday, January 28, 1998 1:21 PM, Jim Schaad (Exchange)
[SMTP:jimsch(_at_)EXCHANGE(_dot_)MICROSOFT(_dot_)com] wrote:
When we had the discussions in San Fransico at the RSA conference, one
of the questions that was raised about changing the what data and how
the data was encoded was if there was any material currently out in the
real world which was signed in the PKCS #7 way rather than the new
proposed CMS way.  At the time I said that I know of none.  I have since
been informed that MIcrosoft actually does have some objects signed and
encoded in this manner, and they have actually been released into the
real world.

Isn't this only a concern if the PKCS #7 SignedData use in question is
being used in an S/MIME context?

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060