RE: Hashing of CMS signedData objects

1998-01-30 15:36:46
On Friday, January 30, 1998 5:42 AM, Russ Housley
[SMTP:housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com] wrote:
No.  It will be a concern when the content encapsulated in a signed data
does not use the data content type.  In this case, the PKCS#7v1.5
language
says that the encapsulated content should be DER encoded.

My point was the only incompatibility should come as a result of PKCS #7
1.5 coexisting in the same environment as CMS, which is only in S/MIME
right now.  I understand the technical reason of the incompatibility (I
suggested the OCTET STRING wrapping, I think :)).

Jim has brought up a good point that since they use PKCS #7 for
Authenticode (I think) as well as potentially for other stuff, he
doesn't want to cart around code for both CMS and PKCS #7.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060