RE: New versions of the -msg and -cert documents

1998-01-29 18:25:11
On Thursday, January 29, 1998 4:42 PM, Phillip H. Griffin
[SMTP:asn1(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com] wrote:
Perhaps the wrong version of S/MIME Version 3 Certificate
Handling was placed on the site. The one that I fetched had
a date of November 20, 1997, and contained several errors in
the ASN.1 definitions, as well as valid imperfections of some
note.

As far as ASN.1 syntax, I have a "work needed" in the message draft
about needing to fix things (we still refer to CCITT, I believe).  This
disclaimer needs to be extended to the cert draft also, apparently.

If you have specific changes that surround things other than
capitalization of OIDs (the ChallengePassword CHOICE is a good one) then
we need to address these specifically, consistent with the ASN.1 goals
that Russ has set -- 1984 syntax plus a couple of kludges to define
universal tags, if I understand it right.  Of course, I could have the
wrong year.

The X.501 OIDs I can research and use the exact syntax from X.501, since
I have paid my money and I am now privy to the wealth of knowledge that
it contains.  Or something.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060