(1) Re: New versions of the -msg and -cert documents

1998-01-30 04:40:20
Blake Ramsdell wrote:

On Thursday, January 29, 1998 4:42 PM, Phillip H. Griffin
[SMTP:asn1(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com] wrote:
Perhaps the wrong version of S/MIME Version 3 Certificate
Handling was placed on the site. The one that I fetched had
a date of November 20, 1997, and contained several errors in
the ASN.1 definitions, as well as valid imperfections of some
note.

As far as ASN.1 syntax, I have a "work needed" in the message draft
about needing to fix things (we still refer to CCITT, I believe).  This
disclaimer needs to be extended to the cert draft also, apparently.

If you have specific changes that surround things other than
capitalization of OIDs (the ChallengePassword CHOICE is a good one) then
we need to address these specifically, consistent with the ASN.1 goals
that Russ has set -- 1984 syntax plus a couple of kludges to define
universal tags, if I understand it right.  Of course, I could have the
wrong year.

The X.501 OIDs I can research and use the exact syntax from X.501, since
I have paid my money and I am now privy to the wealth of knowledge that
it contains.  Or something.

You'll find that these are defined in X.520. The names that you used
are actually the names used in X.520 as attribute information objects,
which have the function in ASN.1:1994 of tightly binding an OBJECT
IDENTIFIER to some type, in a way that can be enforced by modern,
automated tools. No such mechanism is provided in X.208, which must
rely on ordinary text and the good behavior of implementors.

The convention in X.520, is to prefix OBJECT IDENTIFIER values with
the letters "id-", so the following names are provided:

Note that "id-at" is merely an alias for "joint-iso-ccitt(2) ds(5)
attributeType(4)" below.

-- Attributes --

id-at-countryName             OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at  6}
id-at-stateOrProvinceName     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at  8}
id-at-commonName              OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at  3}
id-at-title                   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at 12}
id-at-organizationName        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at 10}
id-at-organizationalUnitName  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at 11}
id-at-streetAddress           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at  9}
id-at-postalCode              OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at 17}
id-at-telephoneNumber         OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-at 20}

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060

Phil
--
Phillip H. Griffin         Griffin Consulting
asn1(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com        ASN.1-SET-Java-Security