Re: 1/28/98 S/MIME V3 Msg Spec Comments

1998-02-03 07:35:34
Paul,

I believe that Russ is planning to write an appendix to CMS regarding the
gory details of using D-H with CMS.  Recoomend that the D-H OID should be
documented in that appendix.  I don't believe that it needs to be included
in the S/MIME v3 Msg Spec.  It could be listed in the S/MIME OIDs document
with a comment referring to the CMS D-H appendix that Russ will be writing.

- John

8) Sec H: "Need OIDs for DH":  PKIX X.509 Certificate and CRL Profile, sec
7.3.2 defines the use of the ANSI X9.42        dhpublicnumber OBJECT
IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) ansi-x942(10046)
number-type(2) 1 } for DH keys in X.509 certs.  Can we use that OID for CMS?

We can either refer to PKIX, or Russ can add this to the CMS spec and I can
add
it to the OIDs page. I prefer the latter, due to the problems we're having
with
PKIX. What do others want?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium