Re: Redundant Cert Mgmt Protocols

1998-02-03 08:05:47
Mike,

The Dec 97 S/MIME WG decided that the certificate management protocol work
should be performed by the PKIX WG.  Specifically, the S/MIME WG decided
that the CRS work should stay in the PKIX WG.  The S/MIME WG rejected the
inclusion of CRS in the S/MIME WG charter.  The 1/28/98 S/MIME v3 Cert Spec
includes a big chunk of the CRS spec (specifically, the Service Indicators
and degenerate signedData).  This is a clear contradiction of the Dec 97
S/MIME WG's decisions.

The Dec 97 S/MIME WG decided that the PKIX WG should define the
IETF-standard, application-independent cert mgmt protocol.  The S/MIME WG
should simply define how those cert mgmt objects are protected in CMS
objects and how the resultant CMS objects are transported via MIME.  The
S/MIME WG should not be defining a redundant cert mgmt protocol.  By
defining the use of Service Indicators in the certificate request and the
use of degenerate signedData for the certificate response, the 1/28/98
S/MIME v3 Cert Spec does indeed define a redundant protocol to the PKIX CMP.

In summary, I believe that once the "harmonized" IETF standard protocols are
completed, then a separate S/MIME WG spec should be drafted which specifies
the use of MIME to communicate CMS-protected "harmonized" cert mgmt protocol
objects as a "MUST implement".  At that point, the new spec could also
define how to transport PKCS #10 objects as a "MAY implement" for the
purposes of backward conpatability with v2 S/MIME MUAs.

- John Pawling