RE: Key usage. No, wait, *extended* key usage

1998-02-13 14:32:36
I am inclined to agree with both Jim and John.
I agree with Jim that the contents of the extended key usage extension may
have implication on the cert chain. The difficulty with extended key usage
is that the set of possible values will never be constrained, so we don't
know what all the possible outcome would be of a check. I also agree with
john that the right place to clarify this point as what the right thing to
do is in the pkix workgroup.
Trevor
-----Original Message-----
From: jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com [SMTP:jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 1998 12:50 PM
To:   Ietf-Smime (E-mail)
Subject:      RE: Key usage. No, wait, *extended* key usage

Jim,

For some extensions, the X.509 and PKIX I specs specify when there are
relationships that must be checked between the values in each of the
extensions present in the certs that compose a cert path (ex:
nameConstraints extension).  I can't find any text in X.509 or PKIX I that
states any requirements for checking any relationship between the values
in
the extendedKeyUsage extension present in each cert in the cert path.

Therefore, I don't agree with your implication that the S/MIME v3 Cert
Handling spec should state any requirements about checking the
extendedKeyUsage extension values in CA certs.  Furthermore, I agree with
Pat Cain's "less-is-more" philosophy (see attached message) regarding
minimizing the mandatory requirements included in the S/MIME v3 Cert
Handling spec (CERT3).  I agree with Pat that CERT3 should not require any
checks of the extendedKeyUsage extension.

- John Pawling