RE: Key usage. No, wait, *extended* key usage

1998-02-13 13:41:56
Jim,

For some extensions, the X.509 and PKIX I specs specify when there are
relationships that must be checked between the values in each of the
extensions present in the certs that compose a cert path (ex:
nameConstraints extension).  I can't find any text in X.509 or PKIX I that
states any requirements for checking any relationship between the values in
the extendedKeyUsage extension present in each cert in the cert path.

Therefore, I don't agree with your implication that the S/MIME v3 Cert
Handling spec should state any requirements about checking the
extendedKeyUsage extension values in CA certs.  Furthermore, I agree with
Pat Cain's "less-is-more" philosophy (see attached message) regarding
minimizing the mandatory requirements included in the S/MIME v3 Cert
Handling spec (CERT3).  I agree with Pat that CERT3 should not require any
checks of the extendedKeyUsage extension.

- John Pawling