RE: Comment on ESS and Privacy Marks

1998-02-13 14:08:32
Hi Jim,

----------
From:  Jim Schaad
(Exchange)[SMTP:jimsch(_at_)EXCHANGE(_dot_)MICROSOFT(_dot_)com]
Sent:  Friday, February 13, 1998 2:59 PM
To:    Ietf-Smime (E-mail)
Subject:       Comment on ESS and Privacy Marks

I think that we have a problem with privacy marks as currently
represented in the ASN.  To be specific we are currently limited to
PrintableCharacters.  I believe that we must expand this to allow for
use of non-English langages.  I therefore propose that we switch to the
following definition of PrivacyMark

PrivacyMark ::= CHOICE {
       PrintableString (SIZE (1..ub-privacy-mark-length)),
       BMPString (SIZE (1..ub-privacy-mark-length))
}

Just a note that it was this identical construct (for PKIFreeText in
PKIX-CMP) that was turned down at the IESG level and prevented CMP from
moving to Proposed Standard.  We were told by Harald Alvestrand that
UTF-8 String (or at least OCTET STRING holding UTF-8-encoded characters)
was to be used instead.

Carlisle.