RE: Comment on ESS and Privacy Marks

1998-02-16 15:45:11
On Monday, February 16, 1998 1:08 PM, Phillip H. Griffin
[SMTP:asn1(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com] wrote:
Type UTF8String has UNIVERSAL 12 as its tag. X.680 states
that "In the value notation all BMPString values are valid
UniversalString and UTF8String values", and notes that the
notation for defining individual character values is the
same for these types.

If this is the case, and UTF8String has UNIVERSAL 12 as its tag, I
recommend that we use that tag instead of OCTET STRING to package our
UTF8 strings.  I don't know what PKIX is doing regarding this, but I
suspect that they should do the same thing.

As far as profiling UTF8String (should we constrain this to ISO 10646-1
UCS-2 == BMPString == UNICODE), suggestions are welcome.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060