Re: Comment on ESS and Privacy Marks

1998-02-16 19:37:59
Russ Housley wrote:

Does anyone have a requirement for characters that are not supported by
PrintableString?  I do not want to add complexity unless it solves a
problem for someone.

Type PrintableString contains the following values:

     Name            Graphic
  Capital letters  A, B, ... Z
  Small letters    a, b, ... z
  Digits           0, 1, ... 9
  Space             (space)
  Apostrophe           '
  Left Parenthesis     (
  Right Parenthesis    )
  Plus sign            +
  Comma                ,
  Hyphen               -
  Full stop            .
  Solidus              /
  Colon                :
  Equal sign           =
  Question mark        ?

which looks like enough to do a lot of things, but
it omits some of my favorites, such as \ | { } [ ]
" < > * & $ # @ ! ` % and ~. While I am not claiming
to have a 'requirement', I do think that not at least
allowing for all of the characters found easily by
users on their keyboards is an unfortunate subset,
even for folks in the US.

I tend to believe that international standards should
support international languages, but it's just a belief
that it's the right thing to do; that it's the net
we're trying to build; that it's the future. But I know
that actually implementing support for national languages
is difficult and costly.

Phil

Russ