Re: CMS-03 Comments

1998-02-23 11:56:14
Phil,

The goal is that the S/MIME v3 set of specs will allow an S/MIME v3 agent to
generate a signedData object (assuming that all optional new stuff is
omitted) that can be verified by a legacy "as-is" v2 agent, and vice versa.
Changing AuthAttributes to SEQUENCE OF AuthAttribute will break that "bits
on the wire" compatibility, because the legacy "as-is" v2 agent won't be
able to decode the authenticated attributes because it will be expecting a
"SET OF" tag rather than "SEQUENCE OF".  Therefore, I still agree with Russ'
proposed syntax as follows: (I changed the UnauthAttribute component names,
but that is orthogonal to the point that you making):

AuthAttributes ::= SET OF AuthAttribute

AuthAttribute ::= SEQUENCE {
  attrType OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
  critical BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE,
  attrValues SET OF AttributeValue }

UnauthAttributes ::= SET OF UnauthAttribute

UnauthAttribute ::= SEQUENCE {
  attrType OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
  attrValues SET OF AttributeValue }

AttributeValue ::= ANY