Re: CMS-03 Comments

1998-02-25 12:30:32
Phil:

If authenticated attributes are to be DER encoded, they
will be subject to the sorting rules required to assure
that they are unique if a SET is used. This may lead to
unanticipated results, including interoperabilty problems.

If we are free to do as we wish here in redefining types,
I would much prefer to see

AuthAttributes ::= SEQUENCE OF AuthAttribute

used instead. It would allow senders to explicitly
control the order of the AuthAttribute components,
and would offer less processing overhead.

I agree.  I always prefer SEQUENCE OF; however, I need to
use SET OF for backward compatibility with PKCS#7 v1.5.