RE: ESS-01 issues not finished

1998-03-05 15:14:47
Blake & Russ:

Actually there is a third choice which is to wrap the whole thing in a new
signature blob.

However, I am afraid that I have to agree with Blake, I think that the act
of just simply adding a signature from some unknown (and stupid) third party
should not cause the message to be unavailable.  I think it is sufficent to
check for some attribute (after all you are already check for duplciates
anyway) and say that you must verify some Security Label if it exists.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 1998 8:41 PM
To: Blake Ramsdell
Cc: Jim Schaad (Exchange); ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: ESS-01 issues not finished

Blake:

I understand your concern.  I just think that the resulting message will be
very confusing.

I see it this way.  If a signer want to add a signature to a previousley
signed, unlabeled message, then the signer has two choices:

1.  Add a signature that does not include a label.

2.  Remove the previous signatures, and generate a message with a single,
labeled signature.

Russ