RE: ESS-01 issues not finished

1998-03-06 09:58:53
At 09:04 AM 3/6/98 -0500, David P. Kemp wrote:
The unknown third party, if he were malicious, could do anything, including
adding a signature with a non-matching label to cause the message to be
unavailable (which the recipient could just strip off to make it available
again :-).  If the third party were just stupid, his user agent should
warn him if he tries to add an unlabeled signature to a labelled message.

I agree with Russ that interpreting a mix of labelled and unlabelled
signatures is more confusing than requiring all signatures to be generated
with a consistent label.  The onus of making sense should fall on the
generators, not the receivers.

Dave, these two paragraphs seem to contradict each other. Are you
supporting "must throw away if the labels don't match" or "must ignore
mismatched outers"?

Personally, I'm very wary of "must throw away if the labels don't match"
due to arguments like you have in your first paragraph. But I think we need
better wording than we have now.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium