Re: cert-03 - signature validation failure

1998-04-07 10:41:17
I stated that I didn't think we should specify a particular security
policy, but that we also shouldn't just leave it unspecified. My proposal
has a SHOULD for configurability (by a system administrator, as you
suggested), but failing that, has as neutral a policy as possible (i.e.,
let the recipient decide). Some environments are large enough that they get
products trailored to their requirements, but most of us just have to
choose from what's available in the marketplace. If we leave it
unspecified, then some implementors may hardcode one or another particular
decision, which is in effect hardcoding a particular security policy. At
least, if the recipient is allowed to decide, then it supports a procedural
security policy.

I also proposed a return status mechanism which can be used both for
configuration and by automated processes. Because it is specified in the
spec, it is interoperable.

Does anyone feel we can make configurability mandatory?

elliott ginsburg