Attribute Certificate(s) in S/MIME

1998-05-06 02:35:33

Hi All,

I'd like to ask two quick questions before this discussion gets
too detailed.

What is (are) the purpose(s) for the use of ACs in S/MIME? What
assumptions exist about other CMS consumers?

Until this is clear, I don't believe that a particular syntax
for the bucket of stuff which includes ACs should be chosen.

One example supporting this is to do with providing AC based
delegation control whilst at the same time preventing AC "stealing".
If such delegation is required, (perhaps only as part of ESS, or
for some mailing list cases, or maybe outside of S/MIME), then its
pretty much for sure that simply sending the ACs of the originator
isn't sufficient.

So, can we establish requirements before syntax?

Regards,
Stephen.