Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-ess-08.txt

1998-10-02 01:24:40
Jim,

I am supportive of the comment made by Francois about the inclusion of the new
section 5 in CMS. More explanations follow.

Although it was originally planned that the signing certificate attribute
would be folded back into the CMS draft, the decision of the various authors
involved was that we would put the draft into ESS for a variaty of reasons:

1.  It was felt by all involved that keeping the description text on what
was being solved and how it was being solved was desirable.  This would be
counter to the way that attributes are currently described in the CMS draft.

Having a bigger "security consideration" section in CMS would solve the problem.
The current section is rather small and could certainly be enhanced. This is the
natural place for such a wording.

2.  Since there was some discussions on the draft and changes were still
being made, it was not felt desirable that the CMS draft be put at risk by
this change occuring.

During the last meeting in Chicago I raised the issue of some changes needed
into it  I recently sent a message on this topic.

3.  There was discussion about the need to put this into CMS.  The attribute
really goes with the idea of ESS giving ENHANCED security rather than this
attribute being required for really having any security.

The Attribute specification addresses two separate items:

1) the addition of a (single) user (identity) certificate,
2) the inclusion of attribute certificates.

While it is true that attribute certificates are not mandated and give enhanced
capabilities, the inclusion of the signed (single) user (identity) certificate
is there precisely to address some security issues discussed at length in the
document. The addition of a (single) user (identity)certificate is REQUIRED
security for many (but not all) contexts. The inclusion of attribute
certificates in CMS is desirable: this is a "useful attribute".

I do no like the
idea that you seem to be suggesting that other groups look only at the CMS
draft for their work.  They should be looking at the range of work we are
doing.  The concepts in ESS are not restricted to S/MIME by any stretch of
the imagnination.

The current title of ESS-08 is "Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME". It is
not "Enhanced Security Services" and I think the current title is appropriate.
So ESS *is* restricted to S/MIME. On the other hand, many people are considering
using CMS outside the context of S/MIME. They are not going to look at a
document like ESS (that is S/MIME specific). CMS is seen as a
replacement/enhancement of PKCS#7 and will be used by many applications. It is
therefore important that people looking ONLY at this specification find all the
information needed including the security consideration issues that currently
come with the section about attributes certificates.

Regards,

Denis

With regards to the new attribute that you desire, I do not know of any
draft authors currently taking this under consideration.  If you want to see
this incorperated into a draft please specify what draft it should be in and
give suggested text on how the attribute should be structured and treated.
While there has been general discussion on the scope of counterSignatures I
don't think the idea of a new attribute has ever really be under
consideration.

jim schaad